Best Car Antenna: Reviews & Guide 2018
There are many car antenna models that are being offered in the market today. To make sure that car owners are buying the right antenna for their specific requirements and applications, they should be prudent enough to conduct their own research and inquiries. This guide aims to help car owners in making the right decision when buying a car antenna. In this guide, we review some of the best car antennas on the market today.
Top 8 Rated Car Antennas
Best AM-FM Radio Antenna: Metra 44-US07R
This antenna from Metra features removable black conductive rubber mast, a side/top mount split ball, and a removable black conductive rubber with cable. This antenna works well with the majority of car models on the market today.
This AM-FM car antenna model is recommended to car owners who want to listen to their radio while traveling. The Metra 44 offers the good signal reception to guaranty the quality of sound coming out from your radio.
- Easy to install
- Excellent signal reception
- Can easily fit the majority of car models
- Questionable quality of materials used
- Non-conducting antenna paint
- Poor assembly design
Best Satellite Radio Antenna: SiriusXM SXV300v1
This car antenna is connected and controlled directly through the car’s in-dash audio system. This model can be considered as a hidden car antenna as its compact size allows it to be installed discreetly behind the dash to completely hide it from view. This antenna kit supports such features as TuneStart, TuneScan, Tune Mix, SportsFlash, Traffic & Weather Now, iTunes song tagging, Replay, and Song/Artist/Game Alerts.
This antenna model is recommended to car owners with families as it can cater to the varying needs of each family member. Car owners with the penchant for new technologies will also love the antenna’s high-tech features and usability.
- Crystal clear reception
- Compact and discreet design
- Requires no special translators or car antenna adapter
- Easy installation and operation
- Works on the XM network and can access Xtra Channels
- Compatibility with various car stereo brands like Alpine, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, Magnadyne, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Jensen Marine.
- Requires a satellite-ready radio
- Questionable customer service of manufacturer/supplier
Best Car Television Antenna: Tram 1185
This antenna model from Tram is easy to install and very convenient to use. It has a frequency range of 144-148MHz/435-450 MHz, thus, providing clear signal even when used in narrow alleys with tall apartment buildings and power lines. This antenna can easily be installed using a 3-inch magnet mount with 12-feet RG-58 coaxial cable and PL-259 connector.
This antenna is recommended to customers who require dependable and strong signal when traveling to long distances.
- Easy to install and use
- Strong and dependable signal reception
- Compatible with both UHF and VHF radio frequencies
- Good quality of design and materials
- May require additional car antenna cable or connector for some radio models
Best GPS Navigation Antenna: GlobalSat BR-355S4
This receiver model from GlobalSat is designed for use in various applications that require global positioning system (GPS) signals that need to be received and decoded in laptops or tablet computers. This model is compatible with the majority of National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA)-compliant third-party software. Other antenna features include a built-in GPS patch antenna, built-in roof mount magnet, serial port interface, and slim profile housing.
This antenna model is recommended for use in cars, trucks, marine, and aviation navigation applications, as well as for municipalities and commercial equipment like police cars, buses, fire trucks, and geographic information system (GIS) data collection devices.
- Excellent GPS accuracy and signal reception
- Slim profile housing with water-resistant rating
- Compatible with the majority of NMEA-compliant software
- May require additional car antenna accessories or cables to effectively function using the universal serial bus (USB)
Best Cell Phone Car Antenna: weBoost Wilson Electronics 304414
The use of cell phones or smartphones in daily activities has long been a global reality. It is, therefore, necessary that a car antenna has a strong signal so that a phone can be used clearly inside the car while traveling. This car antenna booster from Wilson Electronics is designed to provide continuous and strong signal inside vehicles, boats, and even homes. Among the features of this model are its rugged design for heavy-duty applications, compatibility with standard mirror brackets, and a 3-way antenna mount.
This signal booster from Wilson Electronics is recommended for rugged and heavy-duty applications in trucks, recreational vehicles (RV), boats and other marine vessels, and homes.
- Excellent voice and 4G/3G data
- Designed for rugged and heavy-duty applications
- Easy and fast installation
- Comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Compact and discreet design
- Could produce high noise/whistle at highway speed
- Questionable product durability
Best Hidden Windshield Camera: ZHOLÂ NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck
This universal AM-FM antenna model is designed to be installed or mounted to any surface. It can operate on all digital and traditional AM-FM radios, particularly in the U.S. It can operate on the AM radio between 535-kHz and 1.7-MHz and between 88-108 MHz on the FM radio. This hidden car antenna model features a new proprietary design aimed at improving performance with unique MICO Screen element. Its compact and sleek design allows it to be easily installed and hidden in almost any vehicle or car model.
This antenna model is recommended for consumers who want to hide their antennas in their cars, trucks, and even boats.
- Compact and sleek design for easy installation in discreet areas
- Excellent signal reception with its new proprietary design and unique MICO Screen element
- Compatibility to all digital and conventional AM-FM radios
- May not work effectively in radios with no antenna jacks
- Questionable efficiency of signal reception
Best Car Antenna Design: Ronin Factory Bullet Antenna for Dodge RAM & Ford F150 Ford Raptor Trucks
This bullet car antenna model is designed as a car antenna replacement for pickup trucks. It has the same dimension with a real 50-caliber bullet and it is very easy to install. This antenna is compatible with all 1994-2017 Dodge RAM Truck models and 1997-2017 Ford F-Series truck models.
This short car antenna model is recommended to Dodge RAM and Ford F-Series pickup truck owners, as well as for customers who use Bluetooth or auxiliary audio inputs.
- Easy to install and provides an attitude or character to the owner
- Durability of product because it is made of stainless and 6061 solid billet aluminum
- Carwash safe
- Questionable quality of signal reception
- Could be easily targeted by thieves
Easiest to Install: AntennaMastsRus Antenna Mast
This car antenna mast model for roof mount antennas is similar to the OE Genuine Fuba antenna and comes in various sizes. It features a twisted wire that runs up to the mast aimed at reducing wind noise. This car antenna replacement model is compatible with major car brands like Audi, Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota, Scion, Volvo, and Volkswagen.
This antenna mast is recommended as a replacement part for roof mount antennas in various car brands like Freightliner, Honda, Kia, Dodge, and Volkswagen.
- Easy to install
- High quality antenna mast replacement mast
- Compatibility with a huge number of vehicle brands
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty
- May not be compatible with several vehicle brands and models
Factors to Consider When Choosing Car Antennas
There are several factors that car owners should consider when buying an antenna to make sure that they are purchasing the best car antenna for their specific requirement and preferences. Among these factors are:
- Cost – This is an important factor to consider in buying a car antenna. However, buyers should bear in mind that they should focus more on the quality of the product instead of the cost because they could save more in the long term when choosing good products.
- Design – This factor depends on the design preference of the buyer. Car owners should choose a design that they love and meet their requirements.
- Product specifications – Buyers should make sure that the specifications of the antenna fit their requirements so that they will be satisfied with its performance.
- Ease of installation/Customer support – Car owners should buy products that are easy to install to avoid inconvenience. They should also buy their antennas from reputable stores or suppliers with good customer support to make sure that they will be assisted in cases of breakdowns or malfunctions.
Car Antenna Maintenance
Car or vehicle owners should be familiar with the proper maintenance and care strategies for their antennas to ensure their longevity and efficient performance. Generally, antennas just require common sense to properly maintain them. Owners should just make sure that they are properly used and regularly checked for possible damage. During car washing, owners should make sure that their antennas are properly secured to avoid damaging them in the process.
For car antennas, there are not so many products, but car owners should still choose wisely to help the signal stronger or just to replace the broken one. Hope this could give you the detailed guide and remember to choose the best according to your need and budget.